Download a PDF of my resume by clicking here:
Zachary R. Newman
MSNBC February 2018 - Present
Anchor producer and digital producer, MSNBC Live; New York
• Hastily assemble research reports on a wide array of topics for anchors.
• Fact-find for MSNBC Legal Unit digital and broadcast pieces.
• Cut video for the web with Wildmoka and write accompanying SEO headlines and descriptions.
• Administer social newsgathering techniques to identify and clear compelling user generated content. Pre-interview guests before going on-air.
ABC News September 2017 - January 2018
Investigative Fellow, Investigative Unit; New York
• Built complex data sets using Freedom of Information Act requests. An investigation on ankle bracelets embraced these skills. My digging aired on the newsmagazine program “20/20.”
• Employed editorial skills and knowledge of public documents to compile deep-dive and quick-turn research packets.
• Assisted producers during breaking news and long-term projects by finding suitable content for broadcasts.
NBC News January 2017 - April 2017
Intern, Andrea Mitchell and Foreign Affairs Unit; Washington D.C.
• Investigated technical aspects of world politics using deep web tools for “Nightly News” pieces on NBC and “Andrea Mitchell Reports” on MSNBC.
• Used research to develop questions for interviews with news-making politicians such as former Vice President Joe Biden.
• Identified quotes to live-tweet to more than one million followers.
CBS News June 2016 - August 2016
Intern, Radio News; New York
• Winner of the CBS News Intern Project. Field produced a story chosen by senior executives to air nationally on CBSN.
• Produced a 360-degree video published on CBS Radio’s Facebook page.
• Booked sources and gathered sound used on-air in national broadcasts.
• Worked with a team to produce “America Works,” a radio documentary that won a national 2016 Sigma Delta Chi Award from the Society of Professional Journalists.
Mizzou Virtual Reality January 2016 - December 2016
Research Assistant and Reporter; Missouri
Installed unit of 360-degree content producers into “The Columbia Missourian.”
Shot and edited videos in 360 degrees and virtual reality.
Fox News Channel June 2015 - May 2016
Campus Associate and College Associate; Missouri and New York
Field produced and coordinated coverage for network correspondents.
KOMU-TV August 2013 - December 2016
Investigative and General Assignment Reporter; Missouri
Utilized computer assisted reporting tools, such as PivotTables, to compile long-form investigations for sweeps.
One-man-band responsible for video capture, editing using Avid, breaking news, using Twitter and Vine, and writing web stories/television scripts with iNews.
University of Missouri
Bachelor of Journalism, Convergence Journalism | Emphasis in radio and television | Completed in July 2017
• Chosen to be a member of the honor society Omicron Delta Kappa in April 2016.
Boy Scouts of America, Eagle Scout; March 2006 - March 2013
• Communications Merit Badge Instructor; Spring 2018
• Eagle Scout; March 2013
Zaching Against Cancer Foundation, Ambassador; 2013 - Present
• Helping to keep the memory of Zachary Michael Lederer alive and raise cancer awareness via photography events and fundraisers.
MU Improv; September 2013 - December 2016
• Performing member of the premiere long-form comedy group on Mizzou’s campus.
• Continue improv education through classes at the Washington Improv Theater and Peoples Improv Theater.
• Adobe Premiere Pro
• Final Cut Pro X
• Viz EazyCut
• Adobe Audition
• Quick Edit Pro
• Adobe InDesign
• Adobe Photoshop
• Web design
• Research with deep
• Understanding methods for Freedom of Information Act requests.
• Mobile journalism on iPhone and iPad
• Social media: Proficient with Twitter, Facebook, Vine, Snapchat and Instagram
• Computer assisted reporting: Apt with pivot tables
• Video capture: 360-degree and traditional cameras.
• Newsroom processors: iNews and ENPS
ABC News Investigative Unit
Chief Foreign Affairs Correspondent
Managing Editor and TARGET 8 Chief Investigator
KOMU-TV, NBC Affiliate in Mid-Missouri